Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Discipleship thoughts and skinny Jeans!

Yesterday I was asked to share with our church staff on DISCIPLESHIP, and I enjoyed it very much and so did some of the people listening to me in my urple skinny jeans and yellow tackies. Why do I mention this? Well one of my Disciplers called me up on the weekend to tell me that his son had just walked in from shopping with skinny jeans and yellow tackies. He asked what cult I was discipling his boy into?
See discipleship is what Jesus was into and I saw a few things from scripture and from my own life. One is drawn to follow someone who is themself a Disciple. You can't make one till you are one. Then the Discipler calls you out to follow them- not always directly but they are intentional about this relationship. The Disciple then invests time into you and this means home time not just work time or church meeting time. There must be an element of intentionality taking disciple from point A to point B. This is with the Word and other possible tools or books. There is often words of encouragement, endorsement and rebuke from the Discipler. They have to challenge you and get you moving. Then there are shared experiences... doing stuff together, doing ministry together. See Jesus did this with his disciples. Joanne and I have had people like Iain and Lisa and others do this with us, and we are doing this with as many children and young people as we can. Discipleship is fundamentally Relationship! So Be one and Make one. At Jozi Kidz this is our biggest priority and HP Jozi is prioritising it more and more too. Great programs and big meetings certainly have their place but nothing makes disciples like discipleship Jesus way!

No comments:

Post a Comment